Veggie-Rich Quinoa Salad with Feta & Roasted Almonds – Make it for dinner, as a side, take it for lunch, or keep in the fridge for healthy snacking when the munchies hit! We took quinoa salad and potato salad to our first summer picnic yesterday. I really like this dish. I’ve made it several times and the part I like best is that leftovers make a delicious snack to have on hand.
Quinoa Salad is very forgiving. Follow the recipe below or add any leftover veggies you have on hand like I did here. Aileen roasted carrots, beets and asparagus for Gord on Father’s Day, and I chopped up the leftovers for extra richness.
Sprinkle fragrant toasted almonds on top just before you serve for their crunch and little burst of flavour.
- 2 c /500 ml Quinoa, uncooked and rinsed (12 oz /340 g)
- 3 c 750 ml Water
- ⅓ c /60 ml Oil such as Grapeseed
- 3 tbsp /15 ml Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp /15 ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp /10 ml grainy Mustard
- 1 tsp /5 ml Honey
- ½ tsp /2.5 ml Pepper, freshly ground, or more to taste
- 1 c /250 ml Carrot, grated (2.3 oz /66 g)
- 2 c /500 ml Kale, minced until green juices begin to show (14 oz /100g)
- 1 tbsp /15 ml Lemon juice (to toss with minced kale)
- ½ c /125 ml fresh Mint leaves, losoely packed then finely choped (.1 oz /3 g)
- 1 c /250 ml Green Onions, chopped fine (2.4 oz /67 g)
- 1 c/ 250 ml Feta cheese, crumbled (4 oz / 110g)
- 1½ c /375 ml Red pepper or Roasted veggies or any other veggies you have on hand, chopped
- ½ c /125 ml Almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- Cook quinoa like rice. Bring quinoa and water to a boil in medium-large covered pot. Then reduce heat to medium low and cook for approx. 20 minutes until water has been absorbed and quinoa is fragrant.
- While quinoa is cooking, whisk vinaigrette ingredients together until vinaigrette is completely mixed.
- When quinoa is cooked, pour vinaigrette over hot quinoa. Fluff and set aside to cool.
- While quinoa is cooling, cut up vegetables.
- When quinoa-vinaigrette mixture is cool, fold in vegetables and feta. Sprinkle with almonds just before serving.
- Quinoa keeps well in the fridge for several days. Eat it as a meal on its own, as a snack, or take for lunch.
YOU Next Year Principle
Cook a little extra dinner, and that’s tomorrow’s lunch done.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.