Gord and I prepare (most of) our own food. Getting healthy dinners on the table after work takes care of our next day’s lunch. My focus at You Next Year is on complete meals that we – you and I – can manage on a busy, tired weeknight.
Healthy living has become so complicated! There will always be latest discoveries and new superfoods. But whatever you and I believe in, the three health pillars never change.
- FOOD – Prepare (most of) the food you eat.
- ACTIVITY – Move your body every day. (You don’t have to be a hero But you’ve got to move.)
- GOOD PEOPLE – Keep good people close. Be kind. Like attracts like.
Honour yourself. Food is love.
Turkish Chicken & Rice Soup
(Pictured above) From Soup for Syria cookbook. A compelling picture book of people and soups. Celebrity chefs’ recipes mingle with folk recipes. Proceeds to Syrian refugees. You can make this quick heartwarming soup after work, with ingredients you mostly have on hand. I love how this smart recipe makes its own rich homemade broth in a hurry. There is no comparison between this meal made with love and any store-bought soup.
Crispy Tamari, Garlic, Sesame Tofu
From Taste, Australia Fast weeknight meal! Vegan🍃 and low co$t.💚 –Dredge firm tofu in flour. Quick fry in oil. Pour tamari-garlic-sesame dressing to serve. Even my meat-preferring husband liked it. Serve with quick-sautéed veggies. Replace fresh veggies with frozen for an even quicker meal. (You can see a little rice mixed in with the veggies. I always make a little extra, and freeze the leftovers in individual ziplock bags for instant sides on busy nights.)
Tomato Balsamic Salad with Sweet Potato & Artisanal Sausages
1) Poke sweet potato and slip into oven at 400F for approx. 30 mins. Slice before serving.
2) Poke quality sausages from your favourite butcher and fry on medium low. Turn occasionally.
3) Slice tomatoes and mix with cherry tomatoes on serving plate. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, then cilantro leaves. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Chocolate Cake for Company
My brother invited us for dinner yesterday. He needed dessert, and right now I’m a little short on energy and time. And imagination :) What’s even faster than my go-to brownies? Quality, bought, moist chocolate cake and local autumn strawberries, mixed with puréed local berries that I froze at the height of summer. – California berries have nothing on our full-flavoured Vancouver varieties. Our local berries pack big flavour. (Find a good local bakery. The local Whole Foods has one moderately priced chocolate cake they make with homestyle ingredients.)
I’ll be adding more pictures in the coming days …