Here’s a quick meal for you. Cod potato chorizo soup. Make it with leftovers from yesterday’s Cod with Chorizo, White Wine, Onions and Potatoes. That’s two yummy, economical meals back to back and you’re halfway to the weekend.
All you need to do is, dice celery stalks and sauté. Add chicken stock, milk and the leftovers. Purée with a stick blender and you’ve got dinner! Serve with roti or other chewy whole-grain bread, sprinkled lightly with cheese and warmed. (I buy rotis from the local Indian restaurant.) Homemade chicken broth is best if you have it. Gord makes it for us and freezes it in small batches – I know I’m lucky. Whatever you can manage is perfect.
Whatever I’m doing, I’m in that moment and I’m doing it. The rest of the world’s lost. If I’m cooking some food or making soup, I want it to be lovely. If not, what’s the point of doing it?
Sade Adu, British Singer Songwriter
- Leftovers from Cod with Chorizo, White Wine, Onions and Potatoes
- 2 celery stalks, diced- small
- 2 tbsp Olive OIl
- 2 c Good Chicken Broth, unsalted
- 1 c Whole Milk (If using skim/part-skim milk, increase olive oil by 1 additional tbsp)
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- SERVE WITH:
- Indian Roti, sprinkled sparsely with cheese. Wrap loosely with foil and heat @ 350F for 8-10 mins. You can substitute other chewy, whole-grain bread.
- Over medium heat, in medium pot, sauté celery in olive oil for 5 minutes. While celery is cooking, place into a medium bowl from leftovers, any large cod or chorizo pieces. Top up with more leftovers, totalling ⅓. Set aside.
- Spoon remaining ⅔ of leftovers into the celery pot. Blend until smooth with immersion blender. Add chicken broth and milk to the pot. Over medium heat, simmer for 7-10 minutes until hot. Scrape unblended leftovers into the soup pot. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with roti or your favourite excellent chewy bread from your favourite bakery.