A little bit sweet and a little bitter – Cabbage and apples with citrus are delicious, low cost and healthy!
I like this dish because it’s versatile and it keeps well. Eat Cabbage Apple Coleslaw as a side or turn it into a meal by adding grilled chicken slices. Once when I prepared this light coleslaw, our family got three different meals. First on Sunday, it was a side salad that we shared with our favourite neighbour, Margaret. On Tuesday it became a healthy roti pizza, and on Thursday, healthy enchiladas. There isn’t anyone I know who has too much time on their hands, and I try to get the most value from the time I spend cooking.
Cabbage is full of vitamins and minerals, and it imparts health benefits like lowered cholesterol. We’re supposed to eat a rainbow of veggie colours to get all of the nutrients our bodies need, but it’s hard to find purple produce in the winter at a reasonable price. Purple cabbage to the rescue!
Go for it, get healthy, eat delicious, save money – choose cabbage!
Adapted from Coconut & Berries
- 1/2 small Purple Cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup Green Onions or Chives, finely chopped
- 1 medium crisp Apple, like Gala - thinly sliced
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Almond Butter (If yours is salted omit the salt below.)
- 2 tablespoons Hemp Seeds
- 1/2 Orange - Juice and Zest (organic if you can afford it because you are using the skin)
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (optional)
- Black Pepper
- 1/2 Chicken Breast or 2 Chicken Thighs per person - Skin removed
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Finely slice the cabbage and put into large bowl. (Thinner is better.)
- Thinly slice the apple into small bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over the apple and toss.
- Coarsely chop the green onions.
- Add the apple and green onions to the finely sliced cabbage and toss.
- Blend dressing ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour over cabbage mixture. Toss and serve.
- Pepper and lightly salt the chicken.
- Spoon oil into a medium frying pan and heat for a minute. Place chicken into the warm oil and sautée until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from frying pan and slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Return the sliced chicken to the pan and swirl in the meat drippings to coat.
- Place sliced chicken pieces onto cabbage salad to serve.
YOU next year Principle
Slip fruits and veggies into your life and stay healthy.
I like to get where the cabbage is cooking and catch the scents.
Legendary sports writer