The weather around here is fabulous. It is amazing. Man I love it. When it’s this nice outside, you NEED to be there. With a kiss to summer, here is a nutritious meal with minimal time in the kitchen and little stove heat – Juicy burgers and sautéed onions served with barley, lentil & kale salad. Take your dinner outside if you can and enjoy the sounds of summer and the feel of summer air on your skin.
It was close to dinnertime the other day. On the one hand I had about zero interest in being in the kitchen. On the other hand you still need to eat :) I had a pound of extra-lean ground beef and not a lot of ideas. Burgers! Yes. Easy, tasty, and perfect to take for lunches tomorrow.
Mix up ground beef with just three common flavours you’re bound to have in your pantry – paprika, garlic and Dijon mustard, then fry up an onion. Pick up fresh buns on your way home from work and you’ve got dinner. Garlic perks up the beef, and fried onions tie all the flavours together. (I chopped my onions, but thinly sliced would have held together better.) We had leftover veggies in the fridge so I added them to the fried onions for extra flavour and texture. I am trying to up our daily veggies and reduce food waste.
Serve some greens with your burgers. Kale, barley & lentil salad with lemon vinaigrette & feta, garnished with toasted almonds is really good but if you’re in a rush, place a handful of spinach or lettuce onto the burger plate and sprinkle with salad dressing.
Here you go, healthy burgers you can fry up in almost the same the time that you would spend queuing at a drive-through window, and at less cost. Oh, and summer burgers taste good too :)
- 1 lb /454 g Ground Beef, extra lean
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 8 medium Buns, sliced
- 1 Avocado, optional
- 2 tbsp cooking Oil, such as Grapeseed
- 1 large Onion, sliced thin
- ⅔ c leftover cooked vegetables, chopped
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Ground Pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, using your hands, mix together ground beef, garlic, paprika and mustard.
- Form into 8 patties. Make a shallow indentation in each pattie for more even cooking
- Fry over medium heat in ungreased, non-stick pan until juices run clear and the pattie has no pink meat. Flip when first side caramelizes.
- Pour oil into medium skillet and heat at medium for 1 minute.
- Add sliced onion and sauté until soft. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add veggies and continue to cook until onions are fragrant and caramelized.
- Place burgers on sliced bun and heap with sautéed onion mixture. Optional - Lay avocado slices on one burger half. (Sliced onions stay on burgers better than chopped onions.)
A healthier YOU Next Year Principle
Get out there! Go outside while the weather is perfect.
Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.
Henry James, American Novelist