Veggie-Rich Quinoa Salad with Feta & Roasted Almonds – Make it for dinner, as a side, take it for lunch, or keep in the fridge for healthy snacking when the munchies hit! We took quinoa salad and potato salad to our first summer picnic yesterday. I really like this dish. I’ve made it several times and the part I like the best is that leftovers make such a delicious snack to have on hand.
Aileen made sweet roasted carrots, beets and asparagus for Father’s Day and I mixed the leftovers into the quinoa.
Sprinkle fragrant toasted almonds on top just before you serve for their crunch and little burst of flavour.
Minced kale is my new favourite – dark green goodness without the heavy chewing!
- 2 c /500 ml Quinoa, uncooked and rinsed (12 oz /340 g)
- 3 c 750 ml Water
- ⅓ c /60 ml Oil such as Grapeseed
- 3 tbsp /15 ml Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp /15 ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp /10 ml grainy Mustard
- 1 tsp /5 ml Honey
- ½ tsp /2.5 ml Pepper, freshly ground, or more to taste
- 1 c /250 ml Carrot, grated (2.3 oz /66 g)
- 2 c /500 ml Kale, minced until green juices begin to show (14 oz /100g)
- 1 tbsp /15 ml Lemon juice (to toss with minced kale)
- ½ c /125 ml fresh Mint leaves, losoely packed then finely choped (.1 oz /3 g)
- 1 c /250 ml Green Onions, chopped fine (2.4 oz /67 g)
- 1 c/ 250 ml Feta cheese, crumbled (4 oz / 110g)
- 1½ c /375 ml Red pepper or Roasted veggies or any other veggies you have on hand, chopped
- ½ c /125 ml Almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- Cook quinoa like rice. Bring quinoa and water to a boil in medium-large covered pot. Then reduce heat to medium low and cook for approx. 20 minutes until water has been absorbed and quinoa is fragrant.
- While quinoa is cooking, whisk vinaigrette ingredients together until vinaigrette is completely mixed.
- When quinoa is cooked, pour vinaigrette over hot quinoa. Fluff and set aside to cool.
- While quinoa is cooling, cut up vegetables.
- When quinoa-vinaigrette mixture is cool, fold in vegetables and feta. Sprinkle with almonds just before serving.
- Quinoa keeps well in the fridge for several days. Eat it as a meal on its own, as a snack, or take for lunch.
YOU Next Year Principle
Cook a little extra dinner so you’ve got healthy food on hand later when the munchies hit. Staying full, nourished and cared for protects against unwanted pounds.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.