We did it! We made our first picnic of the summer happen. –So much running around, trying to put all of our picnic supplies together, and trying not to forget anything. It was a group effort and we ended up with three table cloths :) Watch out summer! We’re organized now and we’re definitely coming back! Potato salad is always appreciated at a picnic. Here it is with Quinoa-Feta-Veggie salad and toasted almonds.
Such a beautiful day! Spectacular, really.
Eating hearty with family and friends beside the ocean. Feeling lucky to be here.
Old fashioned potato salad – New potatoes and boiled eggs with green onions, red radishes, celery, pickles and parsley bound with creamy Dijon, celery seed and mayo dressing. It’s worth your while to seek out a tasty mayo for your dressing. I like the flavour of Veganaise, though without eggs it’s technically not a mayonnaise. Salting and vinegaring hot-from-the-pot potatoes makes them delicious, salty, and tangy.
Creamy, tangy potato salad with a little crunch from red radishes and celery. The golden hue comes from egg yolks and bit of Dijon mustard. I like lots of boiled eggs in my potato salad. –Yet another reason to make it yourself because deli potato salads always skimp on the eggs.
Adapted from Heidi at Foodie Crush
- 2 lbs /900 g New Potatoes, cut in half
- 1½ tbsp /22 ml Salt, for boiling
- 3 tbsp /44 ml White Vinegar
- 1 c /85 g Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 c /240 ml Red Radishes, thinly sliced (4 oz /110 g)
- 1¼ c /300 ml Celery, thinly sliced (3 oz /92 g)
- 1 c /240 ml Dill Pickles, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 c /240 ml Parsley, measured then finely chopped
- 6 Eggs, hard-boiled, then peeled and roughly chopped
- ¾ c /180 ml Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp /15 ml Dijon Mustard
- 1½ tsp /7.5 ml Celery Seed
- ½ tsp /2.5 ml Pepper, fresh ground to taste
- Paprika, sprinkle for garnish
- Place potatoes into a large pot of cold water. Bring to boil and add salt. Reduce the heat to medium high and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a sharp knife. Drain.(Optional: Add salt after water is hot, in order to prevent salt from pitting the bottom of your pan.)
- Quarter the hot potatoes when they as soon as they are cool enough to handle. Transfer the warm potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with vinegar and stir to coat. Set aside potatoes to cool.
- Add veggies, pickles and hard boiled eggs to the potato mixture.
- Make the sauce. In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, yellow mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. Stir sauce into the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika to garnish.
A healthier YOU Next Year Principle
It’s summer! Make that picnic happen. Opportunities like this don’t come around every day.
People don’t want to go to the dump and have a picnic, they want to go out to a beautiful place and enjoy their day. And so I think our job is to try to take the environment, take what the good Lord has given us, and expand upon it or enhance it, without destroying it.
Jack Nicklaus, American actor